SPrello Web Part not populating

May 11, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Edited May 11, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Hello,

I recompiled the SPrello solution using VS 2012 to target version 4.5 of the .NET Framework and now everything builds and deploys fine.

However; I've now found that setup and configuration of the SPrello Web part on my Sharepoint 2013 sites goes fine and everything populates from my Custom List created but when I save the site after configuring the SPrello Web Part, the Web Part shows on the site page but does not populate with cards. Also, selecting the Add New Item also shows no action. Again, if I select to Edit the site, the Web Part then shows properly with the expected cards corresponding to my list.

This is not the case if a Calendar Web Part is also on the page, if this item also exists, then the cards do populate on the SPrello Web Part and the Add New Item option pops up the expected window for adding a new card.

I wonder if this has to do with a rendering issue or something with the Web Part. I found in the source code that the card objects are set with a default size of 200x600 pixels if I remember correctly. Can anyone shed some light as to what may cause this behavior or specific sections or components of the source I should investigate to determine the root cause?

Regards,
David
Coordinator
May 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Hi David,

The only thing I can do to help here is give a few pointers - you've made large changes to the project (VS2012/.NET4.5 etc) so the problem could be anywhere.

I would start looking into this by using the IE Developer toolbar to find out what JavaScript is erroring (and also try stepping through the functions line by line) and what the difference is between the normal/edit modes - that will give you some clues.

Good luck!...Ryan
May 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Hey Ryan,

I really appreciate the information.

I used the development tools in Chrome to determine what on the page was throwing an error and found that SharePoint function used in a line of code was encountering an error, line 143 in the WebPart,.js file to be exact. I think the root cause of this error, from limited research online, is related to the new asynchronous actions SharePoint 2013 implements that weren't present in 2010 or previous versions. Basically, while the function is finding information, another asynchronous function executes and causes this one to encounter an error. To quickly get around this issue I just commented out that line of code and it works perfectly fine.

Just so it's known, I also ran into another issue when I started trying to use a custom view of my list. When this was implemented, I found that line 93 (the same kind of call found in line 143) of WebPart.js was also causing the same behavior, that being the cards would fail to draw or populate. Again commenting out this line eliminates the issue and allows the code to function properly without error and cards to populate from the list.

Looks to me like the source code for WebPart.js would need to be revisited to fully utilize the new asynchronous performance aspects of SharePoint 2013 functions. Something I would like to do but is beyond my technical skill-set and usage needs of the project.

Regards,
David
Coordinator
May 20, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Many thanks for the feedback David - very useful. I'll make some time to look properly at this and the 2013 Aysnc - didn't find any problems when I gave it a quick test on 2013 but need to be more thorough.

Cheers...Ryan
Oct 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Is there any update for this question? I am currently trying this on a SP2013 farm and hitting all the same issues. I was tasked with making something in SharePoint that "works like Trello" and I was floored to find this exact thing...that unfortunately only works in 2010.
Coordinator
Oct 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM
I haven't had time to look into this yet (newborn son seems to take every spare minute).

All the source and project is there so feel free to take a crack - it should be a good start for your project and if you do figure out what the problem is then please share changes and I'll make sure they get into the project.

Cheers...Ryan
Aug 19, 2015 at 9:28 AM
I know this is an old thread but to save others some time:

It looks like this issue(with solution):

https://sprello.codeplex.com/discussions/579278